The 274 Clock Hour/24.5 Quarter Hour CSHA Oncology Massage Therapy Certificate Program trains massage therapists to work with clients in the different stages of cancer; terminal, treatment, recovery, and survivor. Statistics tell us that one in three women and one in two men will have a diagnosis of cancer in their lifetime. Medical research shows massage therapy is very beneficial to cancer patients by easing pain, nausea and fatigue.
Students will receive instruction in the physiology and pathology of the cancer process, as well as precautions necessary for those receiving radiation, chemotherapy and surgery. Students will be introduced to various appropriate bodywork modalities for working with clients with cancer.
- Prepare students to become practitioners of oncology massage.
- Train massage therapists for entry level employment to work in conjunction with oncologists and other health care professionals.
- Orient students to the physiology and pathology of the cancer process.
- Develop proficiency and confidence in working in various oncology settings.
|Prerequisite||Must be a Certified Massage Therapist (CMT) or enrolled in a Massage Therapy program.|
|Healing Touch Level 1 (ELE 242)
Hydrostone (ELE 246)
Oncology Level 1 * (ONC 210)
Oncology Level 2 * (ONC 220)
Pathology for Massage Therapists (BIO 210)
Intro to Polarity (ELE 138)
Reflexology Level 1 (REF 210)
Trauma Touch Therapy™ (TTT 210) See individual course descriptions for prerequisites.
* Indicates course is required for AOS Degree for this area of specialty.
- 12 months (maximum), 9 months (minimum)
- Full Time Student is one who is taking a minimum of 12 quarter credits.
- Academic Year is a minimum of 30 weeks or 36 quarter credits.
|Name and Standard Occupational Classification for this program||Massage Therapists; 31-9011.00|
|U.S. Dept. of Labor’s O*Net for this program||Click Here|
|On-time graduation rate for this program||100%|
|Job placement rate||100%|
|Median loan debt incurred||Title IV: $0; Private: $0|
|Tuition and fee charges||See Advanced Training Tuition|
|Graduation & Placement Rates||See Chart|